[pianotech] phenomana - experiment.

David Renaud drjazzca at gmail.com
Wed May 16 07:35:05 MDT 2012

   "exact", "perfect" , these words for me personally are not honest.

     Tolerances, standards, expectations, these words I can embrace as I continue to negotiate the problem.

What is thé target range to define "exact"

"exactly" how tight are your unisons?
Zero, .1 cent, .3 , do you find anything within one cent acceptable?

So many times I've witnessed people who claim "perfect" unisions upon submitting to
Their measurement discover they are off .4 , .6 , .9 and more.

In your mind would scoring six 100%'s on an exam count as an "exact" replication
Of the master tuning in those areas. It does not, perfection is an illusion, just look
Into a bigger microscope and learn something from the variations.

  I've followed up really good aural tuners subbing for me at a concert hall, and one in particular
Has an uncanny ability when I come back to it the next day to "stop the lights" throughout the tuning. His style, and my customized stored tuning files match so well, and he keeps reproducing
It aurally. He is alos one of the most stress free tuners i know. There are Micro differences sure, but there always is in the end result aurally or machine, just depends how closely you look.

  And is the same better? I could produce a good aural tuning, save it on a machine, come back and choose to stretch the very low bass just a bit more, next time choose to go with absolutely perfect 12ths. Each tuning a little different, but all of them smoother 10ths progressions then Tunelab or cyber tuner can give me without tweaking and saving it.  So they could be all slightly different, but all better then a generic machine tuning. If I used the same tests, and choices though, sure, want two successive tunings that match 100% within exam tolerances, I can do that  now. Problem is, they still are not the same, get a bigger microscope and analyze to .1 cent, not to exam tolerances.

    "exact", "perfect" , these words for me personally are not honest.

     Tolerances, standards, expectations, these words I can embrace as I continue to negotiate the problem.

Sent from my iPad