[pianotech] phenomania - experiment

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 16 10:30:31 MDT 2012

On 5/16/2012 10:28 AM, Bill Fritz wrote:
> I think any style could work...
> but the closer the style to what's attempted at the Master Tuning, the
> better.

By my criteria, I don't see where it matters at all. This isn't about
replicating or "surpassing" an aural tuning or producing an ideal
tuning, but rather about replicating the previous tuning by (as closely
as possible) the same method on a given piano under different RH%
conditions. That doesn't mean aurally tweaking an ETD tuning, or
changing anything in the basic recipe between tunings. The tuning
doesn't have to be optimized, WOW, or otherwise anything but as nearly
as possible algorithmically repeatable without custom intervention
between tunings. The ETD tunings, like the aural, just have to be as
cleanly and precisely arrived at by as non-changing a criteria, as
possible. There is no need or desire to directly compare the aural with
the ETD.

This isn't about tuning methods at all. It's about pianos.
Ron N