[pianotech] phenomana - experiment.

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed May 16 10:33:34 MDT 2012

I read Duaine's comments to mean simply that a particular tuning could be duplicated more precisely with an ETD.  The ETD's targets will not change unless you change them or unless you remeasure and get different readings.  That's not to say that there aren't some very skilled aural tuners who can do a quality job in that respect.  But we're just talking as a general rule and I would agree with him on that.

Ron's experiment (if I understand it correctly and I only read over that part of the thread very quickly so may have missed something) is an interesting one but it's probably not that difficult to do.  Measure a piano's inharmonicity at one humidity level and then again at a different humidity level.  If you get different readings then of course you will get a different tuning curve and you can easily plot out the values from the machine you are using.  All of them have that capacity.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com