[pianotech] phenomana - experiment

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 16 13:21:16 MDT 2012

On 5/16/2012 2:09 PM, Ron Koval wrote:
> I heard back from one source that related that they do the best they can
> to assure the testing piano "lives" in the same humidity year-round. It
> doesn't give us any info at this time about changes...

No, it doesn't. I expected this would likely be the case, but there may
still be something suitable out there.

> They also indicated that it is possible for different groups to end up
> with (slightly?) different master tunings on the same piano - unrelated
> to change in humidity and temp - more a reflection of the group effort
> to make all of the related progressions as smooth as possible.

Also expected, which is why I suggested a committee tuned test piano as
the most likely to deviate the least tuning to tuning compared to one
aural tuner with one piano. Perfection isn't possible, but some
situations are going to yield more statistically dependable results.

Ron N