[pianotech] Upright damper lever adjusting screw?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed May 16 17:18:14 MDT 2012

Yesterday I tuned an 1898 Collard & Collard upright. Since damper lever
fine adjustment screws were recently discussed, I thought it was worth
photographing this, because these damper tails had TWO adjustment
screws: one for the spoon, and one for the lift rail!

The action wasn't a bridle tape action, but not a spring & loop action
either. There are aprings, but no loops.The springs bear on felt pads on
the oddly-shaped base of the catchers (see pic).

Straight strung too.

I had to replace several broken damper springs, which was fiddly. The
tails go vertically stright through the flange, to be snipped and folded
over underneath.

Best regards,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk