[pianotech] SS k restoration

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu May 17 10:13:42 MDT 2012

On 5/17/2012 10:54 AM, Gene Nelson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am just starting the restoration process for a 1916 SS K.
>
> Having never disassembled an upright before – what is the best way to
> remove the side panels and the part of the top lid that appears glued to
> the case? Are these pieces glued as well as screwed to the case? It
> would seem to me that removal of these panels is a must for refinishing
> and removal of the plate/board etc. Also, the complete top lid assembly
> must come off if I am to rout out the existing block.

I've knocked the sides off of an upright or three in the past that had
been permanently built into basements by stairs modifications, and
survived the process. Unless I saw something really scary and unusual
before I started, this is what I'd do. For the sides, I'd drill 1/2"
locator holes through the outside back posts, and about half way into
the case sides first - carefully. This is to index the sides to the back
when you reassemble so they will be exactly where they were and won't
slither around when you clamp them. Then, hammer and chisel (wedge, pry)
them off. The top doesn't have the critical alignment necessity, so just
try to hammer and chisel (wedge) it off with minimal damage.

Ron N