[pianotech] Guess what I have in my shop?!

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu May 17 17:37:58 MDT 2012

Essentially, it's upright damper felt, the sewn type. In most cases it
should be the same dimension from end to end. However, there were those
that used the "tapered" type, so be very observant. K? <G> Replacing
dampers on a square grand is not for the feint of heart. It's time
consuming and nitpicky work. (Just like in any other type of piano.) It has
to be done in the piano, for the most part. Preliminary cutting to size can
speed up the process, but not much. I have encountered many squares that
techs have "modernized" with wedge type damper felt. The results were
dampers interferring with each other, all over the place and major
ring-through, (more than what was originally designed)! Do Not EVER, try to
make it dampen like a modern piano, it was not designed that way and it's
pretty much impossible anyway!<G> I work on them, all the time. It's what
I've been doing for almost 40 years. They are not difficult, just
different...By Intent.<G> The sound is different...that is intentional.
It's what gives them that certain something, imo. If you work on them, be
respectful of the true aspects of them. K?<G>
Regards,
Joe