[pianotech] what woudl you do?

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu May 17 19:39:47 MDT 2012

I know what you mean - and I don't think you're being silly. However, I had one semi-significant experience that has taught me to be cautious. I was pitch-raising and tuning a long-neglected piano for a lady who told me she had to leave for whatever and that her daughter was home. For whatever reason I just assumed she was 18 or older. Turns out she is maybe 13 (best guess) or so and has a girlfriend about the same age over. They start coming down the hallway from her bedroom (I presume) while I am tuning - and pulling each other's pants down a bit (not really revealing anything personal - but I did get flashes of polka-dot undies) and pushing the one who just got the pants pulled down into the living room where I was tuning. It took me about one nano-second to pack my tools, put the lid down on the piano and exit, stage left. I called the lady that evening and told her what had happened, she seemed sympathetic, and we finished up the piano another day when she was home.

I guess that experience has made me a bit more sensitive to these types of situations.

I had another kinda similar situation arise one time. I was tuning and the lady said she had to leave. Okay, not big deal - just lock the door behind me. After a little while I realized there was lots of noise from children coming from the backyard. I looked out the window to see that there were three small kids (maybe 6, 8 ,10 years old) playing in the pool in her backyard! I freaked!!! I packed my tools and left the house as I called her (I had her cell phone number). She said that her neighbor could see the kids from her back window. I told her I wasn't comfortable with the situation, had to leave, and that we could finish the tuning another day - which we did. Personally, I would have liked to slap her around a little bit - but I didn't and just finished tuning her piano another day and left it at that.

So yeah, I've become a little bit sensitized to some of that stuff. Just not worth it IMHO.

Terry Farrell