[pianotech] FW: Re: Guess what I have in my shop?!

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu May 17 21:02:08 MDT 2012

Hi, Joe:
I'll stick my head in here, if 'ya'll don't mind.
Joe, I second every thing you said about dampers in that thing.  I "stepped in it" some years ago when I rode in on my white horse to replace some dampers on one of these.  Luckily, it was in the store, and not in somebody's living room.  Another fine mess I got myself into.
Then, there's the "chinese puzzle" of getting the keys out, because the "stack" doesn't come off.  There are only certain keysticks (naturals)
 that have a groove in the underside, so you can lift them just far enough so the key can clear the balance pin.  The pin slides down the groove as you pull the key out.  Once you discover which ones have the groove, the other keys next to them can be lifted and tilted to one side so you can get them out.
There is so much hand work in these things it's mind boggling.  Every square millimeter has been worked, shaped, and sanded.  No rough edges, no splinters, everything done to perfection.
Best of luck on this thing.

Paul McCloud
San Diego