[pianotech] Guess what I have in my shop?!

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri May 18 06:15:03 MDT 2012

Just about to replace moth eaten damper felt on a 1860's square partial
rebuild....Hey Terry, looks like this Square rebuilding is catching...We
could be on the cusp of something BIG...<G>...or maybe a couple of
isolated cases of some new techy illness.

Joe Said about square dampers:

<It has to be done in the piano, for the most part. Preliminary cutting
to size can speed up the process, but not much.

Good...this confirms my plan of attack. That's the only way I could
figure to screw them back in without destroying the new felt.

<I have encountered many squares that techs have "modernized" with wedge
type damper felt. The results were dampers interferring with each other,
all over the place and major ring-through, (more than what was
originally designed)! Do Not EVER, try to make it dampen like a modern
piano, it was not designed that way and it's pretty much impossible anyway!

Thanks in advance...whewww!...

Regarding soundboard, bridge work, like Terry, the plate stayed in...low
budget... Having never worked on one of these boards, I wasn't sure what
to expect as far as crown. I'm convinced though, given the structure,
that  downbearing was never part of the idea, and the board will self
adjust to close to zero or no bearing.  I'm curious to see what this
sounds like. My guess is that it will just mean no sustain, which in
lots of period music is actually a good thing.  If anything,  I think
the strings will hold the board up.

Repaired the board, but only in places where the bridges exploded and/or
separated from the board.

Also decided to drop the string scale to 425 Hz, for safe keeping.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com