[pianotech] S&S K(52) Restoration

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Fri May 18 23:45:14 MDT 2012

Look at the drawing below.

Ribs #2 and #4 extend across the width of the working portion of the
soundboard. The low end of the bridge has an extension that goes over the
floating portion of the soundboard liner. These three ribs provide all of
the stiffness the area around the bass bridge needs.

The rest of the ribs are all sized to provide the necessary stiffness to the
area around the tenor/treble bridge.

In the Fandrich piano the ribs that terminate in the Z-Bar-i.e., ribs #5
through #13-are set into notches in either the Z-Bar or the soundboard
cutoff bar. The lower ribs-#1 through #4-terminate about 10 mm in from edge
of the soundboard panel.

The M rim set up against the soundboard assembly do highlight the Z-Bar but
this is not quite how the Z-Bar works. The Z-Bar presents a very rigid
termination to the soundboard panel in the area around the treble end of the
bridge. The further down the scale you go the Z-Bar its termination
impedance decreases-its stiffness decreases--allowing the edge of the
working portion of the soundboard to move with increasing freedom.

The termination impedance of the soundboard panel varies with the frequency
of the energy waves traveling across the soundboard assembly; the
fundamentals and lower partials are affected more by the stiffness-which is
decreasing down the scale-of the Z-Bar while the higher partials are
affected more by its mass which also decreases further away from the point
where it is solidly fixed to the back assembly. The soundboard assembly
actually appears larger to the fundamentals and lower partials; smaller to
the higher partials. In practice this has the effect of increasing the
dynamic range of the instrument through the tenor section of the piano.

The Z-Bar also adds both stiffness and mass to the area around the tenor end
of the bass bridge. By coupling the ends of the Z-Bar and the bass bridge
together the bass bridge extends the effectiveness of the Z-Bar further down
the scale keeping the effective area of the soundboard relatively smaller
than it would otherwise be which improves the efficiency of the soundboard
around the low end of the tenor bridge. The bass bridge is able to take
advantage of the entire soundboard area in the lower half of the soundboard
assembly.

That's the short version and I think I got it all straight. It's late and
it's been a very long day-I've been moving shop equipment and tools and
other stuff-so I'm not guaranteeing anything. I'm sure if I got something
turned around someone will be happy to point it out to me..

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 - Cell  360.388.6525

 <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> del at fandrichpiano.com -
<mailto:ddfandrich at gmail.com> ddfandrich at gmail.com