[pianotech] Square grand rebuilding/repair

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Mon May 21 15:34:22 MDT 2012

<Hmmm? Does that mean that you
did NOT change the scale, but are simply tuning the thing to 425cps? That
is NOT the way I would recommend. If another tuner got involved and didn't
know all of the situation...decided to just tune that sucker at 440cps!

I rescaled.

In the rescale,I dropped tensions across the scale, with exception of
the treble section above the single strut @ C6 which was already very
low in the original scale. With the exception of that treble section
the rest of the scale is below the
original tension, just in case some else cranks it up to 440.  But
hopefully I'll be tuning it, at least until I croak, if not longer...I'm
interested in this project.

I also had some cutesy olde-timey decals made up which identify what
note which pins go to, so I don't loose what's left of my sanity tuning
it.(actually the original setup had the tuning pins identified this way)

Interestingly, the treble section  was amazingly low in the original
scaling. At C6 bichord unison tension was 175lbs, dropping to 150ish
(unison) @ A7, A7 being a mere 46.5mm speaking length.  (Tension from
the start of plain wire to A7 progressively drops). This really low
tension treble was the only part of the belly that hadn't  blow up over
the years. It actually is in pretty good condition, so I left it alone
in the rescale. I'm very curious to see how this all sounds.

Jim Ialeggio