[pianotech] Cleaning very old plate

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue May 22 19:27:29 MDT 2012

Rob,
That is true, but, before I use something to clean a customer's piano, I
want to be very sure that it will not cause problems down the road. Or, to
put it another way, if a piano has suffered smoke damage, (plastics,
especially), it is possible to "clean" it to a client's  satisfaction, at
the time. However, the corrosivenss of that stuff will continue to erode
any metal in that piano, eventually rearing it's ugly head as a need to
take the piano COMPLETELY apart and clean ALL Surfaces before re-assembly
of the piano. DAMHIK!<G> I like to think long term, as much as possible,
and so should we all, imo.<G>
Regards,
Joe
BTW, If I recall Doug has several degrees in that realm, so he would be
able to answer my question, himself.<G> (don'tcha think?<G>)

a miserable fashion, filthy and full of cat poop.  So, even if there are
long term residual effects, the procedure Doug used nonetheless extended
the life of this particular piano. YMMV...