[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 43, Issue 128

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Wed May 23 03:37:08 MDT 2012

Will said:

<A year ago, I wrote a lengthy response to a post on the HL list that I had
spent half an hour composing .  I needed to check something, so I minimized
the post.  When I tried to return to maximize it, the message was gone,
chucked out the invisible doggy door into the ether.  I was not happy, to
put it mildly.  I shared my disgust with the readers of the forum, since
what I was trying to do is a basic Windows function. >

Hi Will. I feel your pain since it has happened to me also, once.

I have taken the liberty of Cc:ing Alec on this. I know HL knows of our
'autosave' request(Alec please remind them? thanks). I have been told it is
on their list of improvements to be made. That was some time ago. Frankly,
I am tired of their 'carrot' method of sales/promises of improvements. The
difference between what we see as a fault/needing to be fixed and their
method of repair is not compatible. Never has been. We want it done now and
their method is globally for all users every 6-8 weeks, and even then, if a
particular problem is not on the hit list, it has to wait for the next
round of updates(maybe) in another 2 months. Will, in your case it has been
a year.

For the record, I am a fan of forum software for community communications
like pianotech. I also understand that email, particularly this server and
its software, has become like an old shirt for those who use it. It's
comfortable - it's familiar, and the users understand its faults and are
willing to overlook the warts. Understood.

If this stuff was easy, it wouldn't be this much fun?,

-Phil