[pianotech] Cleaning very old plate

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Wed May 23 14:46:36 MDT 2012

Joe,

I have no idea how long they last either! :-) The oldest one that I service is c1880.

My comment about lasting another 5-10 years, etc. was more in line with the Scrubbing Bubbles having a deleterious effect on the entire piano. Assuming the piano is eaten alive by the chemicals of Dow, how long will it take before we know? I took a wag at 5-10 years as being an indicator of the spray having a negative effect or not.  If the answer is yes, I bet we find out in that time with all sorts of issues showing up.  If the answer is no, the piano will probably be in good condition and will last for X years longer...  I'll let you figure out what X is.  :-)

Regards,

Rob McCall

McCall Piano Service, LLC
www.mccallpiano.com