[pianotech] Key Leading Documentation

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Wed May 23 17:17:55 MDT 2012

If I were interested in studying key leading patterns in different pianos by
taking pictures of certain keys, which keys would be the most
useful/representative?  I find it easy to lay out all the Cs one below the
other, but this does not show the typical changes in numbers of leads
between sections, or where they occur.  The difficulty I have found in
trying to capture the first and last key of each section is that photos of
black keys do not easily show the leads, which have been painted.  Also, I'm
not sure comparing #26 sharp leading with #27 natural leading is the
best/most meaningful.  Ideas?  Does anything like this already exist
someplace?

Trying to learn about action ratios, inertia, etc. -- that is, from the
point of view of what's been done in the past, is common to certain makes,
models, periods of manufacture, etc.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Paul Milesi RPT
Washington DC
(202) 246-3136 Cell/Text
paul at pmpiano.com