[pianotech] David Love--Centering the bridge--was S&S something er other

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 23 22:09:50 MDT 2012

On 5/23/2012 9:46 PM, mike.spalding1 at frontier.com wrote:

> I like Dale's perception of this question. Different configurations
> of bridge relative to centerline may have different tonal
> characteristics, but not necessarily better or worse. and other
> factors, such as soundboard thinning and rib end scallops, can skew
> it one way or the other.

Yes, there are way too many variables to start presuming the tonal
nuances of centering bridges on ribs with no way to isolate the effect
from all the myriad potential causes. From a design standpoint, I do it
to what degree I can because that's the point of least compromised
response, and I'd like to have some sort of standard as a starting place.

By the time you throw in scaling, panel thinning, panel compression
levels, rib stiffness and loading, hammer choice and voicing, and the
phase of the moon, it will sound how it sounds, and you just can't pick
it apart minutely as specific cause and effect details by looking at the
complex mix.
Ron N