[pianotech] Cleaning Very Old Plate (now string cleaning)

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Thu May 24 08:36:59 MDT 2012

Message: 1
Thumpe,
I straighten the coils for two reasons. One is that you usually have
to fish the string back through an agraff when you put them back in
and being straight helps. Once in a while a string breaks but that is
one that would probably break anyway.

The other issue is safety. When you are forcing a bundle of strings in
or out a pot with about 30 fish hook ends, it is possible  to snag a
finger. I had one go in one side and of a finger and out the other. I
had to cut the string to get it off. Ouch. Fortunately it did not get
infected and I had a recent tetanus shot. So I straighten the coils
now.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc