[pianotech] David Love--Centering the bridge--was S&S something er other

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Thu May 24 09:08:08 MDT 2012

When I was designing the piano it seemed like a good idea. So my
"experiment" involved actually designing and building a piano with the
bridge located quite close to the center of the ribs. I was quite pleased
with the results. Since I was/am already quite familiar with the results
obtained with off-center bridges and here I had the results of one that was
nicely centered that-to my ear, at least-performed some better I'm not sure
how much more I would learn by taking the strings off one of these pianos
and poking around with a tuning fork.

Of course the proximity of the bridges relative to the rim (or soundboard
liners) makes a difference in how it responds to the vibrating energy of the
strings. All other factors being equal the impedance seen by the bridge will
be higher the closer it is placed to the rim, but is this what you really
want? The closer the bridge is placed toward the rim the more it's mobility
is restricted as is seen at the high treble in hundreds of thousands of
pianos of all sizes and at the low bass of small pianos. Is the performance
of all those pianos with this design feature all that admirable? Not to my
ear, it isn't. Nor, apparently, is it to many other ears; if it were we
wouldn't see all the discussions about tone problems through the "killer
octave" and about struggling to get good performance out of the high treble
without lacquering the beejeebers out of the hammers. This is, after all,
one of the design features of traditional grand piano design; the bridges
are significantly off-center through roughly the upper third of the scale.
In my case, by placing the bridge closer to the center of the ribs I was
able to avoid these problems and achieve what seemed to me, at least,
superior performance. One can, of course, argue that there were/are many
other factors at work here and they would be right. Still, after having the
experience of building my own piano with this bridge placement were I able
to repeat the experience I'd put the bridge right back toward the center of
the ribs. Nothing I've seen, heard or read has provided anything like a
convincing argument to consider doing otherwise.

If your only reason for considering off-center placement of the bridges is
to control impedances I would suggest that manipulating the cross-section of
the ribs would be a better approach. By using whatever combination of width
and height you want the soundboard assembly can be made as flexible or as
stiff as you want it to be while still keeping the bridge relatively
centered and giving it the mobility it needs while still controlling
spurious resonances.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 - Cell  360.388.6525

 <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> del at fandrichpiano.com -
<mailto:ddfandrich at gmail.com> ddfandrich at gmail.com