[pianotech] [CAUT] Fwd: Mason & Hamlin soundboard model with tuning fork

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu May 24 14:19:18 MDT 2012

On 5/24/2012 8:17 AM, Euphonious Thumpe wrote:
> P.S. I can envision how, given the right construction, the top edge of
> the ends of a soundboard panel might tip inward when the top of the
> crown is pressed upon; but that the entire assembly would pull in at the
> edges remains too hard or me to fathom.
> In any event, we discussed this at length several years ago, and I have
> no taste for repeating that experience, so I humbly request that you
> please provide a video of this phenomenon, if you wish to prove your point.

I don't really care if you believe it or not. If you're not willing to
spend a few minutes to make a test piece to prove it for yourself, I'm
not interested in wasting more time trying to convince you by making a
video. You likely won't believe a video either. Throw a quick test
together using scrap wood shaped like a typical rib. You'll find that
when you load the center, the ends will rotate in rather than pushing
out. It works with or without a panel, and it's still not an arch. Try
it, it's cool.

Ron N