[pianotech] bead blasting wood...gently

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Thu May 24 18:52:10 MDT 2012

I was quite surprised at how well this worked.  A muffler rail on a
square I'm working on. Client and I decided to dedicate available funds
for more useful parts of the instrument than the muffler rail. But the
rest of the belly was looking pretty good, and I didn't really want to
put the muffler rail back in its filthy state, including filthy felt.

Took the rail to the bead blaster with fine bead (175-300-I think),
turned air down to 20lbs, shot the bead at a very shallow angle, 5 or
10degrees to the plane of the surface to be cleaned.
Gave both the wood and felt quick blasts, didn't protect the leather at
all, just didn't aim at it.

By golly, no early/ late growth erosion whatsoever or visual clue of
what I did...and mighty quick it was too. Felt cleaned up nicely as well.

Waddayanoaboutthat.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio