[pianotech] Cleaning product safety

johnparham at piano88.com johnparham at piano88.com
Fri May 25 08:42:44 MDT 2012

Greg,

Thanks again for expanding these ideas.

I did some additional reading about some of the terms you used in your
email, and it occurs to me that I could very easily create a dangerous
situation in my efforts to clean a piano, or my home. Correct me if the
following summary is incorrect.

Products containing quaternary ammonium such as list A should never be
mixed with products containing sodium hypochlorite (bleach) in list B.
Mixing the two products causes several chemical reactions, eventually
resulting in a poisonous gas called chloramine that is released as a
vapor. Choloramine is so toxic that it can render you unconscious.

List A---Pine-Sol, Fantastik All Purpose Cleaner

List B---Clorox Cleanup with Bleach, Fantastik Spray with Bleach, Soft
Scrub with Bleach

If I wipe down a cabinet or case with Pine-Sol, for example, I should
never chase it with a product with bleach in it, correct? I could see me
making that mistake in my house on any given weekend!

-John Parham