[pianotech] Stretch in tuning

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 25 21:40:20 MDT 2012

I really wish all the ETD people would somehow find ways that exact replicas
of each other's tunings could conveniently be made. As ETD's increase more
and more this issue of compatibility will become more and more significant.
Some of us old creatures aren't up to really fancy manipulation of programs,
but I suspect would be very interested in knowing.  "Accurate" actually
becomes fuzzy as the ETD's grow and yet don't agree with each other on
specifics of tunings.  I think it is going to be an issue and hope it will
soon be given more consideration.

As to the hearing, I think all "older" technicians should have their hearing
checked every year.  Now retired Avery Todd is to blame for me being in
hearing aids. I did some tunings for him at U of H, and he never liked my
highest and lowest notes.  So, I went to an audiologist, and was very
quickly in hearing aids.  As one loses the tops of the hearing range, their
"stretching" is going to shrink and octaves will lose stretch.  I've been in
hearing aids for about six years now, and soon will have to consider my
third pair......  I still have a number of very high end clients, and though
my loss is considered "moderate", I'd still risk an aural tuning with my
hearing aids.  So, as a second point to this post- please put hearing a high
priority on your agendas.  I often can tell by my machine if the previous
tuner has been aural, and also can tell when they've begun to have hearing
loss.   I have several of those high end people I remind that I am trusting
them to tell me when I begin to lose my ability to do the work. I've
followed a very few who should have either been with hearing aids or should
have quit a few years ago.  It's a very sad experience.  Hearing CAN be
aided a great deal- not totally fixed but aided, and one can still do high
quality work with hearing aids...........   hope the little "rant" doesn't
seem to much- but I'm living successfully with hearing issues, and so can
others.
Les Bartlett
Houston