[pianotech] ETD tuning Vs Aural- Some Wisdom

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sat May 26 13:03:55 MDT 2012

Paul writes:
>>But, if one wants to be an expert in any field, one has to learn it
from the beginning.  If you don't learn the basics, you can't call yourself an
expert.  If you don't care to be an expert, that's up to you.  But you'll never
be known as one.<<
Greetings,
    Sadly, I must disagree. Expert is just too good a description to pass up for most of us, and the term is so overused as to border on trite, these days.
 I have seen quacks masquerading as experts for the entire time I have been in the trade.  I have seen
them written up in glowing, "oh the old art kept alive" pieces by people that were NOT educated about the piano.  Human interest
pieces that take pictures of beautiful,old uprights that just glow; never mind the totally shot pinning, bass strings, and actions inside that the
writer has no idea about.
   The buying public can't really grasp why we get wrapped up in the minute differences between tuning approaches, but they can yearn for the "old"
restored piece of an earlier era, representing an expert's turning back the clock.  That would be nice, however,  this field of work is littered
 with con men, ( I haven't met a female tech,yet, that wasn't dedicated to serious piano work), passing themselves off as experts.   There are fewer of these types in the
RPT ranks, but they are there, too.
    I tuned aurally only for many years, and I understand it.  I have used a SAT for some years now, and I understand it.  I think I can hit my target
with either, but  I haven't seen a  completely top flight tuning done by anyone  with undeveloped aural skills.  I know they might be out there, I just haven't  seen them.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/index.html