[pianotech] [pianotech--Centeringthe bridge--was S&S something er other

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sat May 26 21:13:13 MDT 2012

The question remains, though, for those designing boards without or with
less panel compression, what level of rib support is required to compensate
for a reduction in compression in order to achieve the desired impedance
characteristics especially when the range of outcomes can vary as much as
the two examples cited.

*** I know I am missing the boat on this one but for the two boards that I
designed using radius ribs, I may have had a small amount of compression in
the board after gluing on ribs - all at around 6%mc here in the California
foothills - but for the ribs, I just looked at how much string bearing they
would see, spaced them accordingly, used some deflection  numbers that I got
from a local rebuilder and there it was. Impedance was not part of it. I
would really like to understand how to include impedance into rib design.

Gene