[pianotech] re-fabricating a failed soundboard

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon May 28 09:05:36 MDT 2012

On 5/28/2012 8:39 AM, jim at grandpianosolutions.com wrote:

>Again, panel as a substance only, not part of the
> original compression crowned structure.

And again again, it depends on what is expected of it. I don't see why
it wouldn't perform (move air) as well as a new panel in an RC&S assembly.

As Dale said, using the old panel would be an easy sell, as this
discussion alone indicates. Owners could have their "soul of the
instrument" piece of old wood in a construction design that makes it
safe and dependable to use, by adding enough rib support to make the
panel resilience less important. Saving souls for a price has proven to
be potentially lucrative throughout history, so the profit potential
could well be greater than with new panels.

Ron N