[pianotech] Fwd: re-fabricating a failed soundboard

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon May 28 09:20:04 MDT 2012

Jim
  My simplistic approach to ribbing an old  panel like this might be to keep the cubic centimeters/inches of the rib the same or similar. IE. The original 25 mm wide and 23 mm tall original rib dimensions now becomes 25 mm tall and 23 wide with some modest crown cut into them. Stiffness increases with way less compression. (From Soundboards 101)
    Retain a Calif. sugar pine or Northern white pine rib  as were many original rib structures so to preserve weight and stiffness characteristics. (I stock both) I think these species were used as they are stiff and stable as well as light weight. Combined with a tighter grain orientation, which the ribs of many old boards possessed.
Stiffness with less mass than spruce ribbing.
 Jim, I have no doubt whatsoever that you or I or many on this list could make such a reconstituted soundboard  sing like a bird and sound musically viable.
  Now how did they steam this board out without damage to the rim etc. ? Steam is really hot active penetrating stuff and we are talking water soluble hide glue in the rim.

Dale Erwin... RPT
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S pianos
Sitka soundbaord supply
www.Erwinspiano.com