[pianotech] Young Chang damper upstop rail

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Mon May 28 18:17:24 MDT 2012

It’s always helpful when asking for solutions to give us all the symptoms.
That symptom does not sound like damper stop rail. The damper stop rail
limits how high the damper can travel and has nothing to do with how the
damper seats.

I would first check the sustain pedal adjustment to make sure there is a
little lost motion in the pedal before that C4 damper starts to lift. Then
check to make sure there is movement in the C4 key before the damper starts
to lift. If adequate lost motion exists in both places, then check to make
sure the damper is seating properly on the string, The head may be tilted
forward or backward so that only one corner of the damper is contacting the
string. On a fff blow there may be too much energy in the string for such a
contact to fully dampen. Make sure that there is damper felt on both the
front and back sides of the damper head. Sometimes one of the blocks falls
off. Then make sure that nothing has been spilled on the damper to make the
felt hard.

Dean

Dean W May                        (812) 235-5272 voice and text

PianoRebuilders.com           (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802           Give us a LIKE on Facebook! Go to
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/PianoRebuilderscom/137780082943148>
PianoRebuilders.com

  _____