[pianotech] Problem solving customer

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue May 29 15:44:58 MDT 2012

David said:
"Today I visited a customer who has a 1911 German (Schiller) upright. It
was refurbished about 40 years ago, but the action parts are brittle. A
hammer was wobbling around, and it turned out that the hammer butt had
split at the butt plate screw. Actually it was an old glue repair that
had given way. I had no spare hammer butts with me.

Attempts to repair it with CA glue were proving problematical as
tightening the butt plate screw was forcing the join apart. I asked the
customer, a technically minded guy, if he might have a little washer
that I could put under the butt plate screw head so that it would not
penetrate so far, but would still grip because of CA glue partly filling
the hole.

The customer measured the butt plate screw head and shaft diameters,
went off, and came back with a beautiful little 2 millimeter high
countersunk washer which he had just turned and drilled from aluminum
rod! It made a perfect little collar and the idea worked. Unfortunately
my cellphone camera wouldnt work so I couldn't get a photo.

Best regards,"

David,
I've had a few customers like that. <G> That's really neat, imo.
 However, the next time you run into that situation, you might consider
just drilling an 1/8" hole across the butt, slightly below the surface, at
the plate screw site and insert a piece of 1/8" dowel with Titebond III.
This will give you cross grain to anchor the screw into. (sounds more
complicated than it actually is.<G>)
Regards,
Joe
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.