[pianotech] ETD tuning Vs Aural- Some Wisdom

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Tue May 29 17:39:03 MDT 2012

On 05/29/2012 01:27 PM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:

>     In answer to Wim’s question about what criteria, I’d say whether the customer calls you back.
>     David Love
>
> There have been news reports that a "doctor" had many patients, before it was discovered that the "doctor" wasn't a
> doctor at all, but treated patients anyway.
>
> Having a customer call you back is not a sign that you're a good tuner. It only means that those customers don't want
> to go to the trouble of finding another tuner, perhaps because they can't hear the difference. My customer list, after
> being in Hawaii for 5 years, is approaching 1000. That doesn't include the few hundred that have left the island. But
> of those 1000 names, only about half of them I would consider regular, and have me back over and over. The other 500
> used me once or twice, but have opted to go to someone else.
> I bought the client list of a tuner who died. Of the 800 customers I bought, I have about 400 as regular customers.
> I am a much better tuner that the guy who died, but none of them ever said to me, "you do a much better job". They are
> comfortable having me tune their piano.
> Wim
Wim, I think it was your logic, that the other 500 opted to go to someone else, means that you did not know what you
were doing or gave them a bad tuning or something to that effect !!!!!

Just sayin'

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home&  Business user of Linux - 11 years