[pianotech] Square Grand Jack Springs and Cords

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue May 29 23:32:20 MDT 2012

Terry,
The proper tension is critical! I've found that, if the jack is about 30-45
degrees when the slack comes out of the cord and the spring engages, will
give you optimum repetition, (such as it is<G>). If there is too much
tension on the springs, or not enough the repetiton goes south. Not enough
and the jack won't reset under the butt notch. Too much and the jack jams
against the face of the butt notch. BTW, there needs to be "just" a slight
bit of lost motion, so that the jack can reset. Have you drilled out the
let-off rail for access to the rocker capstan screws? You HAVE to, to save
yourself a whole lot of grief!
Joe

be parallel with the base with no slack in the string, or should there be
some slack - and if so, how much?

> Currently, most of the jacks on this piano will raise about 20 degrees or
so from horizontal before the spring is engaged.

> Thanks for your input Joe.
>
> Terry Farrell
>
> On May 29, 2012, at 9:46 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:
>
> > Terry said:
> > "Is there a source for square grand jack springs? I don't have any
broken
> > ones on this 1867 S&S square that I am working one, but seems to me
that as
> > long as I'm replacing the cords, I might as well replace the springs.
Seems
> > I recall running across some broken ones years ago on other squares.
Very