[pianotech] --Centering the bridge--was S&S something

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed May 30 08:58:06 MDT 2012

BTW, I'm not sure I agree with the notion that pianos are limited in their
expressive range and must be either at one side of the continuum or the
other.  I go to a concert and hear a pianist play everything from the Mozart
to Rachmaninoff and Prokofiev to the most delicate Debussy prelude on one
piano.  I don't see anyone suffocating.  A well designed (and voiced) piano,
in my view, is certainly capable of having a full expressive range from the
most delicate pianissimo to a full orchestral fortissimo.  The upper end I
suppose can be limited by size and bass power but otherwise I don't think
you need one piano for Bach and something else for Lizst.  I've heard
concert grands in small living rooms that are voiced for the venue and
function just fine.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

What venue(s) are the instruments designed for?  What types of music, as my
experience of "full expressive range" always means, when push comes to
shove, bloody Lizst and Rachmaninoff (and then I have to leave the room).
In many ways  Mozart, Bach and lots of Jazz, music conceived for small
venues, or popular music, very well suffocate under this targeted late
romantic "full expressive range".

Jim Ialeggio