[pianotech] 102 keys and 4 pedals???

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Sun Nov 4 16:34:12 MST 2012

Ok, thanks.  Ron:

So the lack of stiffness in the panel is what creates both the "zingy"
distortions and the flaccid sound of the board, in your estimation?

Would this be equally true for both the Stuart and the Steingraeber?  The
boards on the two seem to be considerably different and the Steingraeber
substantially more stiff, both from the spruce ribbing and the carbon fiber
- spruce hybrid panel.  It's easier to see that occurring in the Stuart
given its insubstantiality.

The Steingraeber has an adjustable vertical hitch pin, so bearing can be
changed with relative ease.  I did wonder if increasing the downbearing
would have brought a more dynamic sound and improved the tone of that
instrument.

It would be very interesting to be able to quantify what is there in terms
of bearing, crown, rib and panel thickness, etc. so that I could have some
numbers to correlate to what I was hearing.

Will