[pianotech] English Overdamper Pin Blocks

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 5 21:17:51 MST 2012

Terrry asked:
"How well does it adhere to old hide glue?"

Terry,
I'd expect that question from anyone else, except you! MR. EPOXY!<G> I've
found that epoxy will adhere to just about anything adequately for a solid
joint. However, a joint with old hide glue in it, will not allow the epoxy
to penetrate the wood. So, I do like to do a bit of prep of getting rid of
all of the loose stuff and roughing the surface a bit. Haven't had any
problems on that front. Most problems, I've encountered have been things
like olde epoxy, (no "use before" on the package, i.e. Ace Hardware brand
is the worst offender!), punky wood that I eventually find can't be glue
with anything. However, the last time I did the Epoxy/Soundboard thang, the
piano actually had termite problems  in the lower soundboard, (Upright), I
was able to get the penetration and encapsulated them wiggly little
suckers! Plays and sounds better than it has a right to.<G>
Best,
Joew

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police