[pianotech] Epoxy

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 5 21:31:56 MST 2012

Dean asked: "If epoxy penetrates cracks just as well as CA does, then why
don't we use it
to treat loose tuning pins?"

Dean,
Define "..we...".
I have used Epoxy to fix bad tuning pin situations. To be honest, I don't
like the pin feel, even though it cured the problem, at the time, and
continues to maintain. I like the feel of the CA'd pinblock better. I
believe it is because the CA gets a whole lot harder in it's set. Epoxy,
(depending on each one's specific qualities), sets a lot softer, imo, hence
the less than desireable "feel". Besides, CA is the Goop de jour for most
these days.<G> It is over used and mis used, imo. Do I use it? Yes, but in
very specific situations that I have experimented with, (in my shop), and
have found the results to be positive. I do not use it to fix wood joints
that are under shear, nor piano parts, except in last ditch efforts on
absolute crap pianos. I have used it to reduce falseness in the treble
bridges of a few pianos, with mixed results. That one, I'm still on the
fence about.<G> As you may recall, I make replacement parts for Odd Pianos,
and such. So, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot on that front.<G> CA
has it's place, just like all other substances we use. We have to use all
of them with a smattering of intelligence and forethought, imo. I like to
think "longevity".<G>
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.