[pianotech] Broken key repair...

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Nov 9 09:27:11 MST 2012

On 11/9/2012 9:44 AM, chrisstor at aol.com wrote:
> A broken key also gets pieces of veneer glued to both sides, spanning
> over the crack.  Trim, sand, and feather the veneer patches so there's
> no rubbing on adjacent keys.  The repair is stronger than the key ever
> would be.
> Chris -

Interestingly (or not), I've always used manilla card or folder stock
for this, with never a failure. It's easier to get and to carry than
veneer, less delicate to handle, requires no sanding and feathering,
easy to cut and to trim after installation, and requires no clamping to
glue as it doesn't curl up as it soaks up glue moisture.

Ron N