[pianotech] broken keys

Piano Boutique pianoboutique at comcast.net
Sat Nov 10 08:37:24 MST 2012

Marshall,

I was going to answer you by phone, and we still can, but with all the response, I will give you my take.

I like to fit the key parts together, with the right angle, and put a few drops of CA glue, just to keep it rigid.  Next, I cut some pieces from a plastic drum head, about six inches long and as wide as the key is high.   I use contact cement on both parts and let set until using and then apply the plastic strips to the sides of the keys.   I am sure I have forgot to say something, but I have done this to keys on pianos belonging to very heavy players, and it held up for many years now.

As far as the partial broken key, Just put it in place and drop some CA glue to keep it rigid and then treat it like the other keys, you don't have to brake apart the key.

As for key topping and bushing, I will give you a call.

William