[pianotech] Help with Krakauer Damper size

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Nov 10 08:52:15 MST 2012

Just curious - what is the apparent cause for needing new dampers on a less than 30 year old console?

IMHO, if you are looking to do a very basic/minimally-acceptable job, proceed as planned. However, if your objective is to provide optimal bass dampening for this piano, I highly recommend that you download, read and implement Bill Spurlock's article on vertical damper replacement. He not only describes how to make superior dampers, but also how to position, install and regulate them. His approach includes larger than OEM bass dampers. Excellent material. If you do not wish to make your own dampers, Jurgen at Pianoforte Supply:  http://www.pianofortesupply.com/products/feltscloth/damper-felt/  I don't see his large vertical bass dampers on his new website, but he has had them in the past. May need to ask.

Terry Farrell