[pianotech] Hurricane salvage

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Nov 10 10:16:35 MST 2012

I talked to my pal (and hero) Isaac Sadigursky for a while last night,
and he pointed out something he thought ought to be mentioned on the
list. Isaac is an even worse, but much better organized pack rat them I
am, though we've been packing rats for about the same amount of time.
Anyway, his observation was that a whole lot of otherwise unobtainable
and still quite usable piano parts are about to find themselves in
landfills in the northeast as water damaged pianos are condemned and
disposed of. Lid props and music desks, hinges, action brackets,
sostenutos, lyre sticks and pedals, nose bolt nuts, shift levers and
such, and a half ton of brass in agraffes alone, are on their way to
extinction. So for any of you up in that area who will be dealing with
the piano side of that mess, this could be a good chance to archive some
rare and increasingly more difficult to get parts.

Ron N