[pianotech] Friendly front segment rendering

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Sun Nov 11 08:09:12 MST 2012

Last week I tuned a Yamaha G2 which had the most friendly string
rendering I have run into yet. I tune other G2's. They are not too bad,
but definitely not  as easy as this one was. Anyway, as I was tuning,
particularly in most of the tenor section, I was nosing about, trying to
figure out why it was so easy.

Termination angles seemed well worked except the last three notes of the
tenor which had the usual increased termination angles. Then I noticed
that the "ski-slope" felt seemed thick. This didn't make sense, so poked
around at the end of the felt and saw that the felt was pretty thin, and
seemed to be wrapping around a a white plastic substance.  Not being
able to take a biopsy of said material, my guess is that it is a UHMW
plastic.

Anybody have any knowledge of what they were putting inside that felt
wrapping?  I meant to get the serial#  (damn)but slipped my mind in the
heat of battle. I would bet early 90's vintage, but could be wrong.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com