[pianotech] Possible adaptation for the Tuning Exam

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 11 10:58:28 MST 2012

Duaine:
Aren't pitch forks for baling hay?
If you use pitch forks, tone bars or whatever, the result will be close, but no cigar.  You will still have to tweak the result to account for stretching the octaves.  The temperament is the foundation for the rest of the piano, so any discrepancy will be amplified as you tune the rest of the piano.  Just as accuracy is absolutely necessary for stable and clean unisons, accuracy is absolutely required in setting the temperament octave.  Even if you can set each note exactly to the forks, the result will not be close enough to produce an acceptable tuning.  Just go get a chromatic tuner (cheaper, easier to use) and try it for yourself.  Tune the whole piano using the chromatic tuner and see what happens.  Or, buy the forks and do it that way.  I guarantee you will wish you had used your ETD instead.  It won't sound right because it won't account for the stretch needed in piano tuning.
Paul McCloud
San Diego
(Tuning orally for 24 years with my SAT I)