[pianotech] Hearing Beats [was: dismantling old pianos]

Albert Picknell pnrfqsnrk at yahoo.ca
Mon Nov 12 19:59:39 MST 2012

Hello Marshall

I don't know if this is what's happening in your case, but beats like the ones you're describing often occur when using a muting strip in the tenor where the notes are widely spaced.  Because of the wide spacing the muting strip doesn't exert enough pressure on the outside strings of the unisons to mute them completely, and so their vibration can bleed through and be heard.  So you get two or more sets of beats happening.

Cheers,
Bert