[pianotech] Felternator

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Nov 13 06:37:20 MST 2012

On 11/13/2012 6:23 AM, David Boyce wrote:
> That's a fantastic thing!  Even if it does no good for anything in a
> piano, it *ought* to exist, just by virtue of its sheer ugly beauty!

It is impressive. From what the last owner told me, it's now well over
50 years old, and is indeed a felt resurrector. Back then hardly anyone
replaced anything but those old cheese flavored bridle straps, and
pretty much nothing was considered to be too much trouble to try to milk
more time out of worn out materials. But then 50 years ago, those
materials weren't as worn out and it might have done something useful.

The thought has occurred to me that if I was going to use it, I might
want a handle of some sort to get it a bit farther away from the
endangered phalanges. But then I notice a pair of holes in the brass
sides, and wonder if it might not have had a clip on handle originally.

Shop made tools are always interesting. I wish I could talk to the
builder (Lefty).
Ron N