[pianotech] CF Stein

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 16 20:57:29 MST 2012

Obtuse is a good word.  It describes some of my writing about this piano
well.  One of the more obvious aspects of the obtuse angle in the CF Stein
grand is next to the bass cheekblock.  Sorry, but my photo missed it.  The
outer rim, next to the bass cheekblock, starts about one inch wide.  Going
back just a foot or so it swells to about three inches wide.  On the treble
side this part of the rim is the same width from front to back.  Yes many
other grands do something similar, but I never noticed one that does it so
much.  Ron N. explained the shrink holes well.  If you ever get the chance
to see a foundry that makes piano plates, do it.  I believe the last one in
the US is in Springfield Ohio, I forget which it is.  It is one of the most
magical and filthiest places you will ever see!  When I said that the plate
in the CF Stein would not fit another piano, I was being obtuse again.  One
of my PTG friends, Jack, told me that he did not think that CF Stein ever
made his own pianos.  He thought or thinks that they were made by WurliTzer
or another Chicago builder that Stein had done business with.  I want to
point out how different his design is and give the man his due.  I think
Jack has seen enough pianos to see that many design aspects of the CF Stein
are different.  His factory was located about ten blocks west of the current
Chicago School for Piano Technology.  His factory started in 1924 and was
finally closed in 1942; that's a lot of depression era years.  I also
service a studio sized CF Stein that is used by a profession musician, still
very serviceable.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

North Shore Chapter

bdornfeld at earthlink.net