[pianotech] CF Stein

Rex Roseman rosemanpiano at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 08:04:45 MST 2012

I also have one of the grand's in my clientele. The serial is 1154 so it is
slightly older. The piano was in a church that had a roof leak over the
piano. Luckily it was discovered in time so that all it needed was a new set
of hammers and new strings. The interesting thing in restringing the bass
was that under the string bearing felt between the agraffe's and the pins
were a second set of agraffe holes. Apparently there had been a change of
scaling for the bass and the agraffes were move closer to the bridge.

This piano was very seldom used before I did the work. It was the piano that
I took lessons on and when you played, it responded normally until you got
to about a forte playing level. After that point you had to really pound and
then it would "jump" to a FF. While working on the piano, I discovered that
an ivory key front had lodged under the balance rail. When that was removed,
the piano played beautifully and has been in constant use at the church
since. I believe that the ivory keytop caused the balance rail to flex and
absorb the energy that was needed for a FF level of playing. This was one of
those situations where I came off looking like a miracle worker when all it
took was to do some basic cleaning up and bedding of the action frame.

Rex Roseman