[pianotech] Hardening bass hammers

Joe Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Sat Nov 17 19:58:57 MST 2012

Hi David,
As others have suggested it may not be the hammers.
Other things to try that may lead you to decide what is needed.
1. Lower a note (one string of a soft sounding one ) about an octave and pound with a heavy test blow force 10 to 20 strokes in rapid style
Bring the string back to pitch and listen to see if there is improvement in the sound.
2. Need more? Remove same string from hitch pin> as you remove the string (  do it with vice grips so that you can see if the string has been twisted ) twist string unichord no more than one full twist bichord no more than two full turns.
More than this will destroy the string by adding unpredictable false harmonics.
If the above does not help examine the bridge assembly for soundness before deciding to install new strings.
Joe Goss BSMusEd MMusEd RPT
imatunr at srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com