[pianotech] wooden click at letoff?

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Tue Nov 20 16:59:28 MST 2012

I'm chasing down a wooden sounding click on F1...its in a relatively
recent Renner action, in good regulation, parts not appreciably worn.

Confirmed it was coming from either the shank or knuckle as the jack
pushes through letoff. Switched shanks with a neighbor, to confirm that
the sound came from the shank assembly and not the jack/rep assembly or
key. With the swapped shank, the sound went away.

-Put the original shank back on F1, adjusted the jack proximal and
distal...no change
-Rep lever height ok
-Pinning looks ok. 7 swings on a low bass hammer...a little looser than
I'd like, but not terrible
-Knuckle still has a good radius. Filed it lightly to see if there was a
change, but as I expected, no change

Was going to try to repin a bit tighter...but I my pinning tool was in
the shop...oops

Looked at the shank and hammer glue joint. No obvious issues.

Any ideas???

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio