[pianotech] wooden click at letoff?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Nov 20 18:37:50 MST 2012

On 11/20/2012 5:59 PM, Jim Ialeggio wrote:

> Was going to try to repin a bit tighter...but I my pinning tool was
> in the shop...oops

I don't believe pinning, unless it's obviously really sloppy and it's
the birds eye. I've never seen a cracked shank or flange make noise, but
I suppose it might be possible.

> Looked at the shank and hammer glue joint. No obvious issues.

This joint can look fine and still click. Usually, you can wiggle it and
feel if it's loose. Pull it and reglue, or (shudder) put a drop or two
of CA on the shank end. Neither takes long and you can definitely
eliminate that one. The knuckle joint is the next possibility. Same
rules as the hammer. I think you're smart enough to notice something
obvious like a petrified knuckle (and there would be more than one
anyway), or errant glue.

That's all I think of off hand, other than evil spirits.
Ron N