[pianotech] Knabe

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 17:30:39 MST 2012

Almost certainly was an Ampico reproducer. Could have also been supplied without the player mechanism, but I doubt it. Not only are the 6 legs a clue, but also the fact that the front end of the side leg shown is a few inches back from where one might normally expect it to aesthetically end, to make room for the front of the roll-carrying drawer. Also: the fact that it is stamped "Art Case 304"shows that it is obviously a mass-produced item from a customer's choice of many, during an era of high-production numbers.I expect it to date from mid-1920's. Check the back of the keybed from underneath for the slot for the player system to interact with the keys, and the presence of many mysterious holes in the underside of the case with no apparent current purpose.

Thumpe

P.S. The market value of pneumatic players has plumetted in recent years, due to the advent of the computerized versions.