[pianotech] Knabe

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 22 11:08:01 MST 2012

Laura asked:
"You were right, it's a 1914 reproducer (but the reproducer has been
replaced with a Piano Disc system.) The owner says the finish is olive
wood(?) This is the same owner that has the bar-less Broadwood grand. I'm
used to tuning pianos of this vintage at A435. I didn't think the frames
were up to the resultant tension when tuned around A440. The owner would
like them tuned to A440 for the Piano Disc system background music will be
in tune. He's installed the PD system on the Broadwood grand I mentioned
and 2 Broadwood cottage uprights (yes, David, with overdampers) and I've
resisted tuning all these instruments at anything more than A435.

Am I wrong? Is there no danger?"

Laura,
No more than any other piano of that vintage. I tune all pianos at 440cps,
unless there is something that tells me not to. Those things are: evidence
of many broken strings; separated pinblock; backposts dislodged; cracked
plate; case malformation, ("cheek lift"); split pinblock areas.....and I'm
sure you could come up with a few more tell tales.<G> I would quote Del
Fandrich in this regard: "Most plates and piano structures are over
engineered."
Per the Barless Broadwood, I think the pitch, at the time those were made,
was 443cps or some other rediculous number. It was noted in the book "By
Appointment". (which I read several years ago and have forgotten most of
the details now.<G>). In other words , Go For It! (just like ya did when
you thanked me for a "vote".<G>
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.